Erik tucker

How do you know when to ask someone about how they are doing? OR when should somebody ask how your doing ?
The real reason I'm asking is to gain insight on how to help people so they can over come the problems before the problems overcome them. Drought, market, government type things are getting some of my friends down and I want them to think about things that could work out for them, not the stuff you will never do anything about. So I'm looking for ways to start the conversation.
Thank you

Those are some important questions, Erik. They show your deep compassion and concern. I am grateful for the many groups seeking to help those of us in ag deal effectively with stress and crucial conversations like you mention. I'm looking forward to an upcoming training on the topic. I'll report back in if I learn anything pertinent to your questions.

I really wish I had some good answers now. It's so easy to just do the "How are you doing?" "Oh, fine, thanks. How about you?" "Just fine too, thanks for asking." And then just go on without ever really connecting, checking in, showing that we truly care. Maybe that's the thing-- to somehow signal clearly that we truly care without making the other person feel cornered or bad in some way.

I wish Bud Williams had taught more about low-stress humanship. His stockmanship principles often apply to people as well as four-leggeds, but I wonder what he'd say on this topic?

Thinking about some of the things I learned from Bud and other excellent stock handlers, one clue to know when to ask the questions might be to look at our friends and neighbors the way we look at our stock. With our cattle and sheep, we look to see that the whole herd is together, all of them with eyes that are bright but calm, coat shiny and smooth, eating or lazing or contentedly chewing their cud. We give a second look to any individuals off by themselves, ears floppy, head down, off their feed, rough coat, with that distracted, unengaged look. People who are in anguish can be as uncommunicative as livestock, but we're all just different forms of animals when it comes right down to it. So maybe Bud's teachings can help us here.

But that's only a start. You also asked about how to engage people in a conversation about alternatives. Again, I wish I knew. When I'm feeling low I usually don't want to talk. So it's back to another stockmanship principle: a good way to avoid something bad happening is to fix what happens before what happens happens. In other words, do what we can to build trusting, supportive, resilient relationships before things go sideways. And stay as healthy and balanced as we can ourselves so we might be able to notice and offer support to a friend in need.

Last edited:
Great analogy Linda. We so often see someone who isn't acting like their normal selves, and we just attribute it to them just being out of sorts and let it go at that. If we could learn to read body language as well as our dogs do, it would teach us a lot about how others are doing.

Yes, High Plainsman! The world would be a much better place if we were as savvy as our dogs! (Though I do think shaking hands is a better way to meet new folks than the way dogs handle greetings.🙃)

Linda Poole, I love what you said; we need to build relationships before things get tough, and then be as attentive to people and their body language as we are to our stock! I think having community--a flock, if you will--is key. The trouble is that (for me, anyway) if I am low, I hide. How can you help someone who is hiding? Maybe it helps if we are proactive in this, as well; being brave and open about our own struggles, so others feel safe in sharing theirs. Thank you so much for modeling that. And for starting this conversation!

Members online

No members online now.
Back